Monday, March 16, 2015

March 16, 2015 - Grandma Nielsen and the Ward Pirate‏

This week two very special people passed away. One was my Grandma Nielsen. She has had Alzheimer's for a very long time. Some memories of Grandma:
1. When my dog died, she kept asking were he was, and when I told her he died, she was very good at comforting me and telling me I would see him again. It was so cute that she didn't really know who I was, but still knew how to help me out. 
2. Grandma always thought she heard someone crying. One time, she was upstairs with my dad, and I was in the basement with my mom, crying. She said, "Someone is crying." Dad said, "No, no one crying." Me and mom just started laughing, and I stopped crying. 
3. My grandma was always so proud of me for serving a mission. She would forget that I was going, but I would tell her often because it made her happy. 
4. Grandma loved General Conference. She was always the most calm and least confused when we turned it on. She had a testimony of prophets. I know she will be anxious to watch them speak next month.

The second special person was Jim Burrows, a recent convert me and Sister Garcia had been teaching. He was a great man, and was only 63. He was affectionately known as "the ward pirate" because of his eye patch. Some memories of Jim:
1. He always said, "Top of the mornin' to ya," even though it wasn't morning.
2. He always used military time.
3. We couldn't see him at 1530 because that is when Jeopardy was on.
Jim was a great man. He thought he wasn't doing enough to help, but he was a huge example to his family. They had a great experience coming to the church for his memorial service, and they recognized that Jim had changed. My favorite was when his sister in-law said, "I wish I knew the Jim that you all knew. That is how much he changed since he joined your church." That was so powerful. I know Jim is preparing them to receive the Gospel. 

I am so grateful for the words "He is risen." The resurrection has come to mean so much to me this week as these two beautiful spirits have gone to the spirit world. I am grateful that because Christ was risen, my two friends will be risen as well and I will see them again. 
Love you,
Sister Nielsen 
This is Jim. He tucked his beard in his shirt, it is actually much longer. He first met the missionaries at Walmart because Sis Grindstaff wanted a pic with him because he looks like he is from Duck Dynasty. 

We went to the temple today!

This week we also went to Red Robin's with the Sister Training Leaders and President. 

Enjoying some Mexican ice cream.

Decorating the old folk's home for St Patrick's day with Hermana Ponce.

Having a ton of fun at a deaf event.

Bishop Westinskow

The Memphis sign, super cute!

Dinner at Cracker Barrel with the super cute Holliday family! 
 
On the way to the MTC, we stopped for Sharly to say good-bye to Grandma Nielsen.

No comments:

Post a Comment