Tuesday, September 16, 2014

September 15, 2014 - Choose Your Own Adventure

     A little short on time today, but this week has been hard. We have had many days with practically no lessons. And I fell off my bike again. And we walked a ton because Sis G kept having nightmares of me getting hit by a car while biking.  But we have seen many miracles! One was a recent convert our age, Gasheera, called and said she would drive us around all day because she had nothing to do! Sweet! She is way fun, but she didn't like missionary work because all our appointments fell through. "I just want someone to invite us in and give me a glass of water and we can have a real lesson! When I was an investigator I was always there on time, with cookies for the missionaries!" Yep Gasheera, that is just not how it normally is. She is a hoot and a half. She can't wait to get her endowments in February so she can be "an undercover Mormon," just like me and Sister G.
     We also had a gabillion people bringing us food. And they found out I like Spam, so literally everyone bought Span for me. I am stocked for life! Super funny, but I'll take it :)
     This week I also finally met Conrad, the gay Methodist preacher who lives by us. He is crazy! He has taken the lessons, but just doesn't want to stop being a gay Methodist preacher, so he isn't willing to get baptized. But he loves missionaries and told us to stop by if we need bug spray. This time the bug spray he had was watered-down Listerine. I think it worked pretty well, and it doesn't smell too bad.
     I think missionary work is like those choose-your-own-adventure books. You have a few different plans to choose, and sometimes you follow the spirit and go down the right path. Or you don't listen because another one looks more promising, but it is deceiving. Sometimes you have to go back and choose the right plan because you saw that the other plans were a dead end. You aren't always sure which way gets you to the right end, but God does. And whichever way you choose, God will make things happen. You will meet someone on some street or have an awesome lesson you weren't planning on. God makes all your adventures worth your while if you are striving to serve Him.
    I love you all, have great week!
Peace out,
Sister Nielsen
 
A sweet Mini Cooper shop.


Two stick bugs.

 
We walked for 3 hours and didn't find any people, but we found a opossum for road kill stew, and a random Persian rug store that is super out of place.

 
More I-spy-Friday: a decaying couch, just feet from the opossum.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment